To blow or hum
Sex & Intimacy / 2:36 PM - Tuesday September 13, 2005

To blow or hum

Why is a blowjob called a hummer? I've always wondered and have asked, but no one I talk to seems to know. Enlighten me. And since we're on the subject, why is it called blowjob? I usually suck - maybe I'm doing it wrong???

- Asked by An Alternative Girl, Female, 29-35, Managerial

LOL....girl i'm sure you're not doing anything wrong. I just learned what a Hummer is a few years back in NY. From what I understand (cuz I haven't done it myself), it's either you humm while you're sucking which gives off that vibrating sensation that's supposed to drive men crazy or you put his penis on your throat (i guess by the outside) and hummmm away....I'll be back to see what everyone else has to say. Hope it made sense...

- Response by inluvandconfused, An Alternative Girl, Female, 29-35, Miami

Because it's better if she humms. The vibrations are a real turn-on.

Suck-job just doesn't have the same ring to it.

DV!

- Response by darthvader, A Career Man, Male, 66 or older, Pittsburgh, Military

doesnt everybody kinda hum and owww and ahh when they are giving a bj??

- Response by irieirene, A Player, Female, 36-45, Los Angeles, Administrative

A hummer is a BJ where you hum while he's in your mouth. The vibrations can drive him wild.

A BJ is otherwise just a BJ.

my hubby prefers the old fashoned way.

- Response by steelerbabe, A Sportif, Female, 36-45, Toronto, Who Cares?

Most women do not blow or suck, good job(on sucking, instead of just bobbing). Neither do most women hum. Sucking, blowing, and humming all add variety to the sensations of receiving oral sex. If you hum your vocal chords create vibrations in your mouth that are passed to the penis. Sucking creates more friction, and pulls more blood into the region. Blowing is softer and a good change of pace. Much like breathing in an ear, or on a neck, useful for teasing. Ice and warming jells are other ways to add variety.

Just as with other specific terms that become general terms for the whole field, such as Kleenix, for tissue.

This is not a blanket statement about women, many women use a variety of techniques, and understand the effects of each. ANd the same can be said for men performinf cunnilingus on women. It takes a variety of techniques, and understanding what effects the different techniques have on their partner. Variety is essential, as is some teasing, and patience. Sorry getting off subject.

- Response by wolverinesegg, A Career Man, Male, 46-55, Science / Engineering

I think the term "hummer" goes back to the 60's. If a girl could hum the "Star Spangled Banner" (ie: vibrator!!) while sucking and licking, you had a perfect ten, as long as she swallowed also. I heard at one time about "blow job" from an old Top Seargent I had back in Vietnam, but damned if I can remember the exact reasoning now. I will work on this and get back to you.
PS: you just keep licking and sucking, honey, you ae not doing it wrong. Trust me!! (try humming the National Anthem)

- Response by usmale, A Player, Male, 56-65, Civil Service

I answered previously, but did a little research since then.

There are two well-argued schools of thought.

Both explanations share the view that interpreting the word blow figuratively is the key to understanding blow job. Then you are in striking range of deciphering the steamy slang. Now, you just have to decide which figurative meaning of blow the word refers to.

One explanation ties the phrase to the jazz slang blow meaning 'to play an instrument'. From there you get the semantic connection of working a tool with some skill, presumably involving the mouth, and there you go.

The second school of thought proposes that the blow in blow job indicates the climax, and is also related to the expression "to blow off steam." Although the phrase blow job dates only from the 1940s, there is a reference to blowing (someone) off, roughly equivalent to the modern phrase "getting (someone) off," in David W. Maurer's 1939 glossary, Prostitutes and Criminal Argots.

In either case, the word was used primarily in relation to prostitutes, or as a menu item in brothels, until the 1960s. By the 1970s, the use was widespread in the U.S. and the U.K. Whatever its origin, it can now be shortened to only blow, and is often used to make combined forms, like blow book 'a pornographic magazine' or blow buddies 'friends who engage in oral sex'.

Also puzzling to me was the use of blow (or blo) to refer to cocaine. I mean, when you "blow snow," you're really inhaling, right? This blow seems to be related to a euphemism for smoking, and was probably borrowed from a more logical phrase, to blow weed or blow pot, meaning 'to smoke marijuana'.

Hope this helps.........