Christian Girls & Guys, Is Self-Masterbation OK?
Sex & Intimacy / 7:48 PM - Wednesday August 17, 2005

- Asked by A Creative, Female, 29-35, New York, Other Profession

Of course.

- Response by turk, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 46-55, Minneapolis, Internet / New Media

I'd say it's okay to do. The only thing the bible states is for you not to have sex before marriage.

- Response by A Player, Female, 22-25, Indianapolis, Celebrity

The issue of Masturbation is a tricky one. There is no place in the Bible that specifically condems Masturbation. People often get the sin of Onan as God's indictment against Masturbation, but it isn't. Onan's sin was not that he spilled his sperm on the floor, but that he didn't obey God's command to perpetuate the Hebrew race. Onan was supposed to have sex with his brother's wife and he didn't because of a grudge against his brother and as a result of his not obeying the law of God, He killed Onan. If wasting your sperm was a sin then 95% of all people would be condemned to Hell! Think about it. Birth control, pulling out, condoms, anal and of course Masturbation.

The only thing I can say that the Bible says about Masturbation is that lust and selfishness is a sin. If you take the act of Masturbation you have both sins in one. I sort of think it's wrong because I have been guilty of Masturbating a time or two myself. Most times when I did, I felt bad and that's mostly because I was taught that it is wrong and for that reason I think it may not be wrong. To those who were taught that Masturbation is wrong then it feels wrong. These days it's acceptable so many feel it's not wrong. Our perceptions of right and wrong have changed with the times. There are things that were once thought wrong that aren't thought as wrong now. There are somethings, however that are always wrong no matter what dispensation we live in.

Paul says that although some things may be lawful, it may not be expedient or helpful. Masturbation is one of those things that is not sinful but is not helpful and can possibly become harmful. Staunch Christians will tell you out right that it's wrong. I'm a "Man of the cloth" and I have learned that if it feels wrong to you then it probably is. "To him that knows to do right and does not do it is is sin", I believe that is how it goes. That's the bottom line; if it feels bad then don't do it. When the Bible doesn't say then sometimes we must "Try the spirit by the spirit".

babyboycpg

- Response by babyboycpg, A Career Man, Male, 29-35, St.Louis, Other Profession

I asked my minister about this once and he told me it was ok. It is not a sin, hope this helps.

- Response by fblchick, A Career Woman, Female, 36-45, Chicago, Who Cares?

To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life. (Rom 2:7 NIV)
But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger. (Rom 2:8 NIV)
Those who are self-seeking is pleasing ureself and not seeking to do what GOD desires(meaning marriage for children)
Those who are self-seeking is pleasing ureself and not seeking to do what GOD desires

Masturbation is a sin!, people these days use excuses such as everyone does it and its normal but all they are trying to do cover up for feeling guilt when they do it.
We are human beings and we all know what is right from wrong, Jesus came to this earth so we can follow in his foot steps, do you think that Jesus would do such as thing.
Its just like contraception, do you ever think about the beatiful children you are wasting away, do you ever think that you would get blessed children if you tried not to do it.

My point is just because the bible does not directly say anything about masturbation, it has facts that are hidden and you have to reveal.
May God Bless you and give you the will power to stop, but remember God will help you if you help yourself.

- Response by hello1011, A Guy Critical, Male, 29-35

- Response by A Guy Critical, Male, 29-35

The answer is simply, No it is not okay to masterbate because when you think of those kind of things, your actually in sin. If you need more clarity, read Proverbs 23:7, which states, "So as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he". A lot of people have this problem, but they can't find any scripture. I personally had this problem years ago until I learned that masterbation is actually a lustful spirit. As soon as I found out, I went to the altar and had someone pray for me. Almost instantly, tears just began to flow rapidly down my face, and at that moment, I was set free from that spirit. Although, it wasn't easy giving it up because satan always wants to attack you at you weak points. And in this case, it was masterbation. But I just kept praying and asking God to help me, and now I'm set totally free, with no desire to go back.

If your having this problem, ask God to help you and forgive you, and He will, if you want to be set free of these constant desires. Also, try and find someone you know and trust to pray for you. He did it for me and He can most definitely do it for you.

- Response by errick, A Guy Critical, Male, 26-28, Indianapolis, Student

My situation is i am married and my husband is in the military and what if i am thinking of him while doing it then i am not lusting after another man other than my husband... is that wrong?

- Response by forgetvnot, A Cool Mom, Female, 22-25

I asked myself the same question and think it is a sin and I am suffering from it but I have looked at this link which does make sense as well (and I not trying to be biased or find excuses) Take a look at this link http://www.layhands.com /IsMasturbationASin.htm

- Response by charliec2009, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Rio de Janeiro

the bible never talks about masterbation specifically. It does however talk about lust.
we understand from scripture that lust is a sin. People usually always assume that masterbation always goes hand in hand with lust but it does not always have to be like this.
If we as humans are struggling with lustful thoughts and are struggling with masterbation there are ways to do it without sinning.
by praying about it and understanding that the feeling is a gift from God then doing the act is not sinful. The thoughts that we have however are sinful.
So how do we masterbate without sinning? Well there is a very fine line and that is why it is best to steer clear altogether and wait until marriage. However if you are in the position where you cannot stop then praying about it and setting a time and a place to do while not thinking lustful thoughts is probably the best way to go.
This will also reduce your sex drive for a period of time rather than having all this sexual tension build up inside of you causing you to sin.

- Response by A Jock, Male, 22-25, Sydney

well I was entering this question in and got this page, I say that if I really be honest with myself and the Christ that is in me or the truth that is in me, The word said if you be in Christ you are a new creature, old things are passed away and behold or look all things are become new...so if old things are passed away and all things are new...then if my body is dead because of sin, and my life is now hid in christ, then a dead body has no desires, so the life I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the son of god who loved me and gave himself for me, so this is his life that I am living now, so I am crucified with Christ nevertheless I live, YET NOT I,BUT CHRIST lives in me, so my old desires and cravinings are under HIS BLOOD, so the temptation that comes to my old body but my new life in him are not of God but of the evil one trying to resurrect that which has died, so in order to get my deliverance I must begin to read God's word to learn about my new life, and how to rebuke the devil and to put on the whole armor of God so that I can withstand the wiles of the devil, Yes he just brought that desire to my mind, and I put the question in the search engine and pulled this up and I am glad I did because I now have strengthen myself by his words in me, You can overcome, God has you reading this to make a way of escape for you ., You are not the only one in the battle, you can stand still and see god's salvation through Jesus Christ, and let Him fight this battle for you. HALLELUIAH SATAN YOU DIDN'T WIN THIS TIME...I DIDN'T BUY YOUR SOLICITATION TO MASTURBATE...TAKE YOUR LUST AND GO BACK TO THE PIT OF HELL FROM WHERE YOU CAME...I AM VICTORIOUS IN JESUS...BY WHAT HE DID ON THE CROSS...AND EVERY ONE WHO READS THIS FATHER AND DESIRE TO BE FREE...HELP THEM TO FEEL THE POWER OF DELIVERANCE AND KEEP READING THIS AS MUCH AS IT TAKES, Jesus Christ holds all power in heaven and in earth, satan can't make you do anything...stomp on him right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

- Response by A Sportif, Female, 29-35, Rio de Janeiro

Im 19, i am a new christian, i used to smoke weed, and sometimes drink, i would curse, judge others, master-bate, and sex before marriage,
i was only with 2 girl's, and the second girl im still with now, almost a year now, after i became a christian i decided i was not going to have sex until we got married, and for about 2 months its been done, ( i moved to nashville lol ) but we are still very much in love and all i want is her to be my wife someday,
anyways, i have masturbated 2 times since ive been here, the first time it was lust towards her, i felt so guilty because i made a promise that i wouldn't do it anymore, almost right after i did it i picked up the bible and started reading it, no lie i repented and i didnt feel guilty anymore,
so i said NO MORE!! but satan is stronger than i took him for, about 2 3 weeks later i woke up in the morning and i previously was searching to see if masturbating was wrong, i see a post where it said that if you do not lust someone while you do it, and if you do it to relieve the pressure so you wont want to do it again, then it may be okay, i am able to masturbate and not think of anything, weed killed my brain cells :(
but anyway i woke up and i did it, then i feel back asleep, i didn't feel guilty this time. because i honestly did not lust anyone while i did it. my mind was blank, honestly i cant say if its bad or good, but i believe that if you dont lust anyone and you do it for the right reason, its okay?

- Response by johnozaur, A Guy Critical, Male, 22-25, Student

Every spermatoza doesn't count. For the hundred of sperm cells that are ejacualted only one gets to fertilize the egg. So that means, is that the hundreds of sperm cells that did not get to the egg are wasted! So do the math you are killing a lot more sperm cells every time you have sex, weather it is with your partner or with your self.

- Response by A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 56-65, Denver, Medical / Dental

hey, so i'm going to be quite honest with you, i don't know what position you are in, but quite frankly it doesn't really pertain to the way i'm about answer.

here's a scenario, my wife and i have been married for 7 months now, and even though we share this sacred bond of holy matrimony, we aren't able to make love the way we would like because when we do, it hurts her. we both have very strong feelings of love for each other, and God provided a way for us to share it, but right now a physical (and mental) condition prevents us from doing it. in fact, when the moment strikes both of us, we often times don't do anything because i don't want to hurt her and she doesn't want to get hurt.

what we were told was the reason she experiences pain is because she was hurt down there before, and now years later, her body associates anything down there with the tremendous experience she had that caused her pain. As her husband i would do anything to make the pain go away (which in our particular case would be to re associate her private area with the feelings that should be associated with such) however, i don't know when i do something that hurts her because only she knows what would hurt before it happens and only she has the power to control it, and every time i hurt her i set her back and it hurts me just as much in my heart. In our particular case we believe that masturbation is the only way we can associate a pleasurable feeling without the pain she has afterwards because she remembers and is always conscious of the pain that she felt. we both have come to the agreement (with the help of God's guiding hand) that masturbation was what she needed to do in order make herself comfortable with her body again. because that is something that only she can do. how can anyone be comfortable with someone else if she can't be comfortable with herself?

now let me ask all of the posters before me that said masturbation was a sin (even though i know i'm posting on a several year old thread), we believe that God led us to our solution, is it a sin that we are being provided the means to destroy the wall that prevents us from expressing our undying love to each other?

God is more than just right or wrong, because the heart sees more than just right or wrong. It has been said that any act that is made out of love is the will of God. The reason the Bible doesn't say weather or not Masturbation is okay is because there are times in which it is, and there are times in which it isn't. what anyone reading this post because they need an answer needs to do is look into their own lives and ask them selves, why am i doing this? (and this pertains to ALL acts, not just masturbation) if you are thinking about masturbation because your husband doesn't last long enough for you, maybe there are different option that you can search that are more fulfilling, and that both of you can enjoy together. if you are wondering if it's okay to masturbate because you are trying to relieve the sexual tension of being with someone and trying not to have sex until marriage, maybe there are other ways to relieve this stress by non sexually related actions. but you know what, God sees into your heart! he knows why you do the things you do and he's the ONLY person you have to answer to, not these Staunch religious folks who (bless their hearts) believe that if you do one thing wrong God will be livid and Satan will have won. God is loving and understanding, he knows the needs that humans have because through Jesus he WAS human (albeit a perfect one). he knows we aren't divine beings that can see into the perpetual depth right and wrong, so he knows that when you've looked into your heart with honesty, and that you've chosen the solution that you honestly believe is the right one, you are not sinning.

- Response by A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 22-25, Technical

@ hello1011

You made several mistakes by making your comment about birth control and wasting babies. Have you EVER thought that there are woman out there who CAN NOT EVER have children? I am one of those women. Have you EVER thought that some women use birth control FOR MEDICAL PURPOSES, NOT BIRTH CONTROL PURPOSES? I am one of those women. Have you EVER thought that maybe some women out there, regardless if they have children or not, is using birth control to NOT GET PREGNANT because if she got pregnant SHE COULD DIE?????? Although I am not the woman in the last statement I just made, because I am a virgin, I know women who are doing just that.

SO before you start your Pentecostal comments about wasting children away because women decide to use birth control, REGARDLESS the reason, THINK ABOUT WHAT I POSTED!

- Response by A Creative, Female, 29-35, New Orleans, Other Profession

- Response by jossman, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 36-45, Cape Town, Science / Engineering

Ok this post is 7 years old but for what its worth:

The Bible says whatever we consider to be sinful, that is sin to us. If however in our growth as Christians we realise all things are lawful in Christ, then as long as such things do not cause another to stumble, then we are to partake without question (Romans 14; 1 Corinthians 10:23-31). Here the Bible refers to foods as an example, as well as holy days. But the same would apply for "whatever you do" (1 Cor 10:31).

So for masterbation the application follows: if you consider it sinful, then it is. If however in doing it your conscience does not condemn it and if done privately so none are offended, then you do well to keep it to yourself and enjoy it. There is no other teaching in the Bible that I have seen to be applicable to masterbation including sex before marriage or body being the temple of the Holy Spirit.

just ask yourself why you even asked this question~
why do you think you asked? isn't it because something in your mind, the guilt tells you that Masterbation is wrong?
this solves this problem, you don't even need to ask anyone about this question anymore because no matter 1000 or even million people tell you that it is okay, you know the truth and it won't change because of the wordings from the HUMAN(pastor is human too and they are not always right, they are human too)~
the guilt tells you everything. why do you think god made you to feel guilt? it is because it helps you decide right from wrong. but then, if you keep go against the guilt or keep try to tell yourself it is okay and tell yourself "other 100 thousand people said it is okay", then the guilt slowly disappear and you start to believe or want to believe the action that made you feel guilty is not sin at all. however, the fact that sin is sin does not change. using this check yourself, do you feel guilty when you masterbate? or even when you don't masterbate, do you think masterbate is wrong? you need to think without thinking of what others have said! then there you go~! the answer should be pretty obvious

- Response by A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65

So many idiots...
Lust does not equal 'any' sexual thought or desire.
The hallmark of sin is selfishness, not self appeasement.
Selfishness is what is done at the expense of another person.
ex: a husband can be guilty of lust if he rapes his wife.
So unless you are a legalist (and thus not a Christian) then NO, masterbation is not inherently sinful.

However, escapism is not healthy.
Chronic masterbation will condition you to only be able to have an orgasm in a certain way (a non-healthy way for inter-personal sex).
And most porn is exploitative to the people producing it and dangerously desensitizing to the consumers.

btw, just because you feel guilty does not mean the feeling is a message from God.

- Response by bbow73, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45

So many so called Christians have turned off their brains....

However, escapism is not healthy.

DAMN! Babyboy put one of the best answers I have ever seen on this board! Thanks for this question that provoked that answer! I am saving this in my files.

I was going to say that the Catholic Church teaches against it, but they also say you shouldn't do oral and other things then teach that it is alright in pre-cana classes (only during the days when you should abstain from sex if on the rhythm method).

I defer to his answer.....I think it can be wrong when it is the product of lust and selfishness, but I don't think it is wrong in ALL aspects!

Have a great week!

- Response by kanaka, A Life of the Party, Male, 46-55, Dallas, Executive

I'd say so as long as it doesn't obsessively become more important than your faith, but I don't know what the bible says about it.

- Response by A Rebel, Male, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

Hi creative: IMHO, masturbation lets a person know what and how to be sexually pleased. By knowing what turns you on, you can teach your sexual partner.
When I was growing up in the 1950's, adults figured masturbation would mean: not wanting to be attracted to the opposite sex;not wanting to get married. I masturbated, got married and have a grown son.

- Response by macman04, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 56-65, Seattle, Administrative

Start the music...
Every sperm is sacred,
Every sperm is great,
If a sperm is wasted,
God gets quite irate....

- Response by pizzaman, A Father Figure, Male, 66 or older

ok for everybody...in fact it helps you become aware of yourself sexually and to know your body.religion ignores the fact that we are all sexual beings...ever noticed a person who claims that sex is wrong and masterbation is bad...they are very uptight people....

- Response by A Life of the Party, Male, 29-35, Artist / Musician / Writer

Actually is is not ok to mastubate ever. The Bible considers "wasting the seed' of a man a sin. Also it is viewed as a sin of lust as in coventing a neighbors spouse.

Also by the way, most scholars of earlier times of Christianity believe that sex should be initiated ONLY for the purpose of reproduction. Any other sexual activity is considered a sin in the eyes of God.

- Response by yme4, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Who Cares?