Times and a half

Probably 2 or 3 years.

- Response by suess, An Alternative Girl, Female, 46-55

I had a relationship go 5 years and realized it was going nowhere. 3 years we got engaged and then realized it was not going to last, and several went about a year or so.

With my wife I got engaged in 6 and way married within 18 months of meeting her.

It is not about the length of time, it is about knowing whether or not it will work as a marriage. And good marriages are not based on length of time together.

- Response by falconf1, A Father Figure, Male, 36-45, Ottawa, Who Cares?

We got engaged on your 4th anniversary and got married 8 months later. I was 30 and he was 28.

- Response by olderwoman, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Pittsburgh

Like one year. If a man wants to get married at all, and wants to marry the woman he's with, he'll do it right away.

I think that by 3 years, there should be an engagement at least. But most depends on the experiences you've had with that person... I think it's important to hang out with each other's friends, families, extended families, go to weddings, funerals, if they occur, etc... it's good to see how people are in all situations to get a good picture of what you want to wake up next to for the rest of your life.

- Response by advicegirl, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Medical / Dental

I don't. It makes no difference, its a piece of paper.

- Response by beanielou, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Halifax, Who Cares?

...........If you haven't gotten married in 5 years one or both of you have your feet in ice, or you may just be happier without the piece of paper.

- Response by buffer, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Los Angeles, Retired

3 years

- Response by luvbuck, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 46-55, Frankfurt, Political / Government