Can you get a UTI from too much sex
Sex & Intimacy / 11:05 PM - Wednesday June 29, 2005

can you get a UTI from too much sex

Me and my bf have sex sometimes 3 times a day. We both really enjoy it but I heard that's bad for you. Is it true that you can get an UTI (urinary track infection) from having sex too much? Does anyone have any knowledge about this?

- Asked by A Hippie Chick, Female, Who Cares?, Miami, Who Cares?

I don't know about that stuff but sex is very good for the human body!

It's a scientifally proven fact that having sex makes your hair shinier, your skin glow, and it puts you in a much better mood. It releases stressful tension and clears a person's head so they can think clearly.

- Response by imadhdpositive, A Life of the Party, Male, 18-21, San Francisco, Who Cares?

Sex is healthy for body, mind and brain. To avoid UTI: Take a pee after sex. No need to run to the bathroom immediately after you finish, but within half an hour or so. UTI is mostly caused by unwanted bacteria accessing your urinary tract, and bacteria are an unavoidable part of the lovely mess that is sex. A pee cleanses out those malevolent little organisms.

Also be hygenic and insist your partner is too. If you practise anal sex, hygene is crucial! Avoid sitting on cold surfaces for long. Avoid too tight underwear. Drink enough water.

If symptomps occur, try drinking citrus juice (grapefruit, lemon, orange and so on), cranberry juice, or strong coffee. The point is to flush out your urinary tract and to create a sour environment in the bladder.

If this doesn't help, contact a physician for antibiotics. Be careful, though, to finish the treatment even if symptoms disappear. And a general warning: It is not wise to undergo antibiotic treatment too often.

Now don't worry - be horny!

- Response by softbelly, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Other Profession

When I read your post, I actually said "LUCKY!" aloud... 3x a day sounds awesome...
If you're having trouble with UTI's, I agree with the other replies--just urinate before and after sex... if you find you are still getting them, ask your boyfriend to do the same--he might be passing it back to you. (I know one couple that has been passing a UTI back and forth for 40 years... seriously, he carries something that just does it for her... if they forget to pee, she gets a UTI... she gets a UTI, he flares up, too... After all of this time, it's cute...)
Still having trouble? Might not be a UTI, and you might want to be checked out for an STD, some mimic UTI's. But I'm hoping you're using condom protection for those 3x a day... ;)
Have fun! (Oh, you don't need me to say that, you already are!)
:)

- Response by day2day, A Creative, Female, Who Cares?, Los Angeles, Artist / Musician / Writer

UTIs can develop from friction inside your urethra causing tiny leisions that can get infected easily. this sometimes happens from "too much" intercourse.

it is not that you are having too much sex, really, but that the sex is dry, causing bad friction. also rough sex, even with enough lube can cause the same problem. this problem is less common in women with intact (not circumcised) partners, because dry sex just doesn't happen. when the penis pulls part way out of the vagina, moisture is held in the foreskin rather than being pumped out, and since it is under that skin, it doesn't all evaporate as it does with a circumcised penis.

if you have not had problems with UTIs even though you're having sex 3 times a day, don't worry about it. just be aware of how much lubrication you have, and dont let him pump you dry haha.

- Response by gracyelala, An Alternative Girl, Female, 18-21, Home Maker

Like everyone has mentioned, make sure you pee before and after. I have a tendency to get UTIs after sex as well, so my doctor gave me a back-up supply of macrobid (antibiotic) in case I felt one coming. Also, after I discovered my latex sensitivity, it helped with them. If you are having some issues with it and are using protection, you might want to look into polyurethane condoms. You'll feel sooo much better.

Be safe!!

- Response by A Hippie Chick, Female, 22-25, St.Louis, Other Profession

Oh great I'm jealous now thanks! Ha! just kidding but three times a day is great. But if you use the restroom before and after the sexual act this will help prevent any germs that stay and harbor there to create an UTI so do this and more than likely it will help. On the other hand sex is a great way to get your heart and blood pumping which is good for the body everything changes from sex you seem to glow and look warm and it makes your day seem so much brighter, so go have that sex then smile from ear to ear just because you feel good and satisfied. Good Day

- Response by kygurl, A Cool Mom, Female, 36-45, Teaching

softbelly is right, up to 30 minutes after is ok, you don't have to jump right up and go pee, but it IS important to do it to avoid UTIs.....haven't heard much on the before thing!

Good luck and congrats....3x a day is what I would love also!

- Response by kanaka, A Life of the Party, Male, 46-55, Dallas, Executive