The Best Of Answerology

Procter and Gamble makes both Olay Regenerist Daily Serum and knockoff Equate serum, Walmart's brand
Style & Beauty

Are they the same? Why would a company make two such products and compete against itself? Equate is much cheaper, of course, but both are P&G products. In your current issue you advise against knockoff facial products. It was not until I bought Olay , I had been using Equate, that I noticed the manufacturer of both is P&G. Equate serum is made in Israel, I think. Are Equate serum and Olay serum the same? I'm very confused!

Hi There, I'm a product analyst with the Health and Beauty Lab at GHRI and would love to help you with this question. Equate is owned by Wal-Mart, so they are not owned by the same company (Olay is owned by P&G). The products that you are comparing are anti-aging serums. The article you mention in our current issue, we compared two anti-aging moisturizers: an Olay product and a store-brand knockoff. We found that the store brand knockoff, while making the claim that "compares" to the Olay product, lacked important anti-aging ingredients that the Olay product contained. Therefore, it could not produce the same results as the Olay product. This discovery, in conjunction with talking to a cosmetic chemist, lead us to develop some tips for comparing name-brand and store-brand products. First, store brand products may be best suited for something with an immediate effect, such as lotions, soaps, or other simple products. It is best to go with name-brand products when looking for something with long-term claims, such as this instance with an anti-aging product. While I am not familiar with this Equate serum, and while it may be a good product, I'd say its a safer bet to go with the Olay. Another good tip is to compare the first ingredients in both products. You can also see if the product lists "active ingredients", and compare these, and their concentrations, between the two products. Thanks for posting a question, and good luck shopping :)

- Response by ghresearchinstitute1900, Female, 36-45, New York

Pantene makes their shampoo. Most products are made by only a handful of manufactures. All store labeled brand are made by someone other than themselves. My first summer job at a hose factory made the same nylons for over 500 retailers. Same with appliances and other goods.

- Response by A Thinker, Female, 66 or older, Financial / Banking

Tests are indicating that the Equate version delivers the same results as Olay's ... Save yourself the bucks and enjoy Equate...

- Response by A Thinker, Female, Los Angeles, 46-55, Consulting

I will settle for the Equate.

- Response by A Thinker, Female, Los Angeles, 46-55, Self-Employed

Many many companies make the same things but put other names on them. Sears for example and many many more.

- Response by A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

This is not the magazine you have been reading. This is answerology an open forum for questions of all sorts, but nothing from the Hearst magazines. You will have to contact the magazine itself for that information.

I will settle for the Equate.